Blog Archive

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Surviving and Thriving

Editor’s Note: Shelley Moreno was one of nine RSM US LLP (RSM) employees given an opportunity to “pursue their passions” as a result of the firm’s Pursue Your Passion (90-90-9) program. Through Pursue Your Passion, RSM is supporting personal and professional aspirations by providing nine employees with $90,000 ($10,000 each) and nine paid days off to fulfill their dreams. Shelley’s dream? Provide travel packages and professional makeovers for seven breast cancer survivors for the 2017 Breast Cancer Thrives Cruise. Read Shelley’s story:

For most of us with a breast cancer diagnosis, we just put our heads down and fight, not really thinking of what it will be like when years of treatments and surgeries end. Lost hair, lost time, altered physical appearance, depleted, overwhelmed with permanent painful side effects. “Who was I now? How do I go forward from here?’” I asked myself. Bridging the gap from cancer fighter to cancer survivor was something I didn’t have a rule book for. I tried to get my old life back. But that was no longer there. Then a fateful meeting with two powerful breast cancer survivors, Jan Ping and Beverly Vote, and the opportunity to appear on TV to tell my story and receive a makeover, changed my life. A path to healing rolled out in front of me. I began to see a new self-emerge. I experienced depth and meaning for life that made the past years not just a hardship, but a gift. Transforming hardship into growth and learning is what life is all about. But we can’t do it alone. It starts with just one person who takes the time to understand like Jan and Beverly did for me. I knew I had to share this with other women who were suffering in silence as I once had. When I saw the 90-90-9: Pursue Your Passion contest announcement, it took my breath away, and everything in me knew I had to put myself out there. Even if I could just help reach one woman, it would all be worth it. But we ended up reaching so many more.

Beverly and Jan were immediately game to help! Jan, an Emmy award-winning makeup artist specializing in post-treatment cancer beauty would do makeovers on chosen survivors, and Beverly, who founded The Breast Cancer Thrivers’ Cruise where over 200 survivors come to heal, would help me secure spots for more women.

When I started calling the women we chose, I don’t know whose mind was more blown – theirs for hearing they were getting an all-expense-paid cruise to the Caribbean along with a makeover, or mine for knowing I was the catalyst. The days of meeting the women over the phone and spreading the message of hope were joyous and surreal. Our hearts connected over the miles on these calls. We shared our stories of heartache and triumph. Some of the survivors included: Julie from California - like me a two-time survivor and single mom of young children, Jo from Colorado - whose little sister was diagnosed within one week of her, and Laurie from Minnesota - who lives on an isolated ranch where local support groups don’t exist.

As the women shared their concerns of medically-forced physical changes, which made them no longer feel like themselves, Jan and I planned to do the makeovers for the Captain’s Dinner on the cruise. Then the makeovers took an exciting turn when the TV show Jan worked for heard about RSM’s Pursue Your Passion contest and wanted to feature two of the survivors. What a special day! Survivors Julie and Deanna showed up to set with their whole families. As they shared their stories on camera, I saw them melt as I once had. The magic of the makeover is not just a wonderful result, but the process of being truly seen and cared for was amazing. I felt so proud to say the RSM name on TV and be a part of broadcasting a message of hope. I have met people who saw the episode and said it helped them.

Next we had the cruise to look forward to, but getting there wasn’t easy! Each of us had our ailments, kids to plan around, doctors to okay our travels, etc. But when we all finally arrived in Miami, the feeling was electric as we all met and embraced. For the entire week we lived in a state of, “Pinch me; I can’t believe this is happening!” Special moments were spent snorkeling in crystal waters, laughing late at night until our sides hurt and letting out stored up tears over chocolate lava cake. Despite our many physical afflictions, one night we all made it to the dance floor. As we let the past anguish wash out of us and the music move through us, we shared an all-knowing glimpse in our eyes that we are living on a second chance and with an unearthed strength. We truly were survivors.

With tears left behind on the ship, we stepped back into our lives owning our strength, embracing our imperfections and honoring our vulnerabilities. I am still in touch with all the women, and we continue to share our lives. Last month, I had a recurrence scare and Julie and Deanna were right there with their support, giving me right back what I gave to them. All the women expressed their gratitude to RSM. And so did my mom when she saw me thriving through this process of Pursue Your Passion. My mom said it best, “RSM rocks!”

No comments: