Blog Archive

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Meet RSM Pursue Your Passion Winner: Danielle Montes

Danielle Montes | Associate | San Antonio, TX

Some of my fondest memories as a child, were spending time with my grandmother going to the store to buy materials for her many craft projects and returning home to watch her create them. From sewing my Halloween costumes ranging from Cinderella to the pink power ranger, mending my clothes, sewing blankets and quilting it has been a joy watching her and learning how to create things myself. She has inspired me to learn how to sew and has instilled a desire to craft handmade goods that allow me to use my creativity and show how I love and care for others. Over the past several years this hobby of mine has truly developed into a passion upon which I would like to expand. 

I have used my skills as an accountant and sewing enthusiast to lead a total of four service projects that taught others how to design and sew over 300 beautiful handmade felt stockings for donation to a children’s home, Seton Home and my local church community over the past five years. In addition, I have made over 50 receiving blankets for premature babies through Threads of Love. With this experience, I would like to expand my current sewing skills into the realm of quilting. 

My grandmother has taught me some basics but is no longer making quilts due to her poor eyesight and neuropathy. I would like to participate in quilting classes offered through quilt shops in San Antonio and surrounding Texas cities. I would also like to attend one or two quilt retreats to learn the process thoroughly from start to finish and to learn additional techniques. With these quilting skills I would like to make receiving blankets and quilts to donate to my local community through Threads of Love for premature babies, Seton Home a not-for profit that teaches parenting and life-skills to young teenage mothers and Quilts for Kids for children with life-threatening illnesses, children of abuse, and children living at poverty level. 

I would also like to teach others basic sewing and quilting skills. Starting at home with my younger sister and expanding to the young women (girls ages 12-18) at my church and interested individuals (such as friends and co-workers) from the local community. The funds from “Pursue Your Passion” would enable me to purchase a midline quilting machine to complete quilts from start to finish. The additional sewing machines (2+ dependent on pricing at time of purchase) would be used to teach others and loan out to individuals who would like to make and donate a quilt, but do not have a machine of their own. The serger would be used to make receiving blankets. The embroidery machine would allow me to add special touches to the donated quilts such as a name or design. The quilting supplies budget would cover fabric, batting and additional accessories needed to complete the quilts such as pins, stabilizer, bias tape, thread, etc… It would also cover cutting pads, rotary cutters, scissors and machine parts that may need to be replaced as needed. 

With the combination of classes and supplies I have a goal to personally complete 24 quilts and 50 receiving blankets. The budget will also cover sewing and quilting supplies for the individuals I teach during the year. With my efforts and the efforts of those I teach, I plan on completing a total of 40 quilts and 100 receiving blankets to be donated. The funds will not only cover the cost of the donated quilts, they will also provide a long term investment in knowledge and machinery that will enable me to continue to teach and serve others for many years to come.

No comments: