Blog Archive

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Meet RSM Pursue Your Passion Winner: Amanda Brown

Amanda Brown | Manager | Harrisburg, PA

I joined RSM just 2 weeks before a very (unforeseen) tumultuous time in my life. The support, understanding, and trust in me that was given (to a new employee) is one that I am forever grateful for and I remember this each day I turn on my laptop. 

My Dad received 4 kidney transplants over the course of his life; his first occurring while I was still a baby and the procedure an experimental, last hope. It wasn't always easy, between extended hospital stays, 6AM dialysis appointments but I am thankful for being able to say that I was able to grow up in a house with a Dad who coached t-ball, taught me how to paint a wall and who ultimately guided my career path. 

With his illness, there were often many times where we needed to be away from home for weeks at a time, especially since transplantation was not done as 'routinely' as it is done now. This could be costly, with travels to Pittsburgh or Hopkins on a regular basis and a home over 200 miles away. 

There is an organization called Family House, which provides patients with a 'home away from home.' It's a house, with a community kitchen, community living area and bedrooms/bathrooms for patients and their families. It's a low cost alternative to hotels and more importantly provides support as everyone there is seriously ill or is a family member for someone who is seriously ill. 

Family House provides the home atmosphere with books, games, dvds, aerobeds and most importantly a shower and bed that one may need. They also host meals in the large kitchen for people to partake in, if they choose. Some days there is nothing better to end a long day at the hospital to come back and have a warm bowl of pasta and brownie for dinner. 

I attended college about 45 minutes from this Organization - while my Dad was in good health. I volunteered several times (making pancakes, raking leaves and making the infamous pasta dinner) while I was in school and brought along the student government association and Greek organization as well. It was one way for me to say thank you for a service I was not in need of at the time- thank fully. 

In November of 2008, things dramatically changed. I had just started at the Firm when I got a call from my mom that my Dad was being rushed to the hospital. The stay turned into a 4-hour ambulance ride to Pittsburgh and 4 of the worst weeks of my life. We slept in chairs, showered in the nurses lounge and ate hospital food because family house was full and there was no way we would leave my Dad. Family House, upon hearing of this, loaned us aerobeds and found room for us within a few days. Because it was within walking distance to the hospital and as touch and go as things were, we were able to clear our heads, knowing we could be back in minutes. My managing partner and direct manager were supportive of me - at a time when it would have been easy to ask a new employee to leave, they supported me. Applauded me for trying to work from the hospital and made me have one less thing to worry about. At this time, it was clear to me that this was the Firm for me. 

Needless to say, we didn't come home with my Dad and we miss him terribly. We do community projects throughout the year - like breakfast for Family House residents on his birthday, buying items from their Amazon wish list on important days in memory of him and a large donation drive for our local Ronald McDonald House during our annual Christmas open house in lieu of guests bringing baked goods or alcohol. 

My husband, who works for a local hospital system alerted me to an organization that they had in place (on a smaller scale) for families in my local area. They are in need of volunteers and donations to keep the house running and regularly have to send people to the local hotel across the street. 

I am applying for this Firm event because I want to help. Helping others is a passion of mine. Whether it's implementing a new application, refining a process to gain efficencies or in this case, navigate through a dark time, I genuinely want to help as others have helped me. 

If chosen, I would use the time to volunteer at our local house, The Bailey House and/or the Ronald McDonald House. My time would be used to volunteer at the house including assisting patients and house upkeep. I'd use my technical skills to assist with web page, MS office and other needs. I'd use donation money to collect 'wish list' supplies including toiletries, books, games, stamps, dvds, food and other household needs like cleaning supplies, paint, sheets. 

Thank you for your consideration in reviewing my application and allowing me to share my story about my Dad and how firm employees stood by me and supported me.

No comments: