Blog Archive

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Meet Shaz Mian: RSM Technology and Management Consulting Manager

Shaz Mian | TMC Manager | Chicago, IL
What is your role at RSM?

I am part of our management consulting group where I lead our Great Lakes practice for the Performance Management & Analytics team. The focus of this group is IT tool specific; we utilize applications such as Prophix, Host Analytics and Adaptive (to name a few) that we implement in order to resolve clients’ budgeting/forecasting, reporting and consolidation challenges.

How did you get into that role?

I worked directly at one of our Corporate Performance Management (CPM) vendors in Toronto. At that time, RSM CPM was growing rapidly and the former CPM national lead was looking for someone to help her manage and grow the team. With the expectation of the role to wear multiple hats, my experience (support/consulting/sales engineer/direct sales) seemed to fit what she was looking for.

What do you like most about our Technology and Management Consulting practice?

Today, we are miles from where we were five years ago, which shows the success of CPM and potential of more growth ongoing. With the firm’s focus on an integrated approach, it has gotten me more passionate about a practice where moving away from a tool focused approach to an integrated approach with Financial Transformation team. This is what separates RSM from other firms and vendors, allowing us to continue to work toward leaders in the CPM space.

What are some of the challenges that you face?


Joining a relatively new practice, there were areas of improvement such as standardization and consistency across regions. It allowed me to learn and contribute to the practice from day one.

Any memorable client stories?

I flew down to meet the CFO of one of my clients for a lunch meeting to just touch base with him on the project. The client’s team was running behind on the project and the CFO thought I was coming into town to make sure they were on target, but I was just there for a friendly check-in. That gesture really stood out to the CFO and it helped him get a sign-off on another project. It helped me develop a great relationship, which lead to referrals in his network.

What are 3 of your favorite things that that aren’t work-related?

  • I love watching Kevin Hart and I think he is one of the funniest comedians out there. His stand ups on Netflix are hilarious. 
  • I love Hawaii, it is absolutely beautiful out there and my favorite place in the world.
  • I am not a Bulls fan, but a diehard Lakers fan. Even though I’m from Toronto, we didn’t grow up with an NBA team, so I watched the Lakers.


What advice would you give to someone starting their career?


I would advise someone to constantly take everything in and try to get involved in areas outside of your scope if there is that opportunity. It will allow you to grow and find other avenues in which you have interest. Never stop wanting to grow. Because in your career, you will always learn something and constantly chase new knowledge no matter where you are in your professional development.

No comments: