Blog Archive

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Meet RSM Pursue Your Passion Winner: Sarah Greyer

Sarah Greyer | Manager | Tampa, FL

For my thirtieth birthday, I wanted to do something really special to bridge my 20s to my 30s. As an adventuring accountant, I bought myself a flight to Nepal and a trip to hike Everest Base Camp (EBC), which had been a challenge I always wanted to complete. The mental and physical challenges of a difficult hike allow me to struggle, succeed, and show that I can push myself to be efficacious.

The first few days went smoothly. However, on my 4th day of the climb, I awoke not feeling very well. My guide suggested that instead of doing the full walk that day we should walk about 1/3 of the way, which was to a lower altitude and would help if I was starting to get altitude sickness.

On day 5, I awoke feeling considerably better. The first part of the hike this day was an hour uphill. When I started, the crisp mountain air filled my body with energy. I felt strong, almost resilient. After about 30 minutes, I started to feel nauseous. I figured the morning adrenaline was wearing off, and the fact that I had been ill was slightly impacting me again. I knew that EBC was about challenging your body and mind; so I kept ascending, starting to feel sicklier as we progressed. I needed to give my body time to adjust to the altitude, so we decided to return to the previous tea house to rest another day. My head was low; I was taking more time than I had planned.

This wasn't a failure, but a small obstacle. Isn't that how my job normally works? I plan for 80 hours on a job; then the client tells me that they forgot to mention they were acquiring a company before the end of the year. My job is about planning and modifying accordingly; hiking EBC is similar. As I started descending, I had to stop and sit. I vomited something fluorescent yellow reminiscent of ghost busters. I realized this wasn't a small setback; I had hit my limit; I could feel it in my body. I started to cry. I had altitude sickness, and unless we immediately dropped to lower altitudes, I could die. The emergency evacuation helicopter was called. I asked for a yak to help take me back to the teahouse. My guide responded, "Yaks can't make it this high Sarah; you have to do this." I slowly struggled to my feet, pulling out my hiking poles for support to descend the mountain. After a few minutes, I noticed descending the mountain felt like someone had put bricks on the bottom of my hiking boots. My guide took my arm, put it around his shoulder, and we walked together as I deteriorated quickly. Soon, my legs could not hold my weight, and I needed to be carried. My Sherpa (Mr. 5’5” and 120lbs) gave my backpack to my guide, and gave me (Ms. 5’10” and 160lbs) a piggy back ride down the mountain. I was holding on for dear life as I knew that's what I might lose. My eyelids became heavy; my arms no longer had the strength to hold me from falling. My body and mind had been pushed, and death was upon me. I was slipping away, down the back of my Sherpa. I heard the helicopter, and was hopeful. My Sherpa released me to the ground. My body couldn't get me to the helicopter; I couldn't push anymore. A man ran toward us to help. I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. The two men lifted me from the ground. I had each arm over one of the shoulders of my helpers. Between them, my feet dragged behind us, and my chin sagged into my chest. With little strength, I had to lift my head. I opened my eyes long enough to see the magnificent Himalayan mountains in the backdrop with a helicopter 50 yards in front of me on the mountain. My eyes recessed, and my chin collapsed forward.

The balance of the day was fragmented for me: a helicopter ride, an ambulance stretcher, and oxygen in the ambulance and hospital. The following day I had the strength to hold a phone, and called my family. Failures don't feel better when you share them. However, having supportive friends and family made me realize that I could one day accomplish the goal of hiking to EBC.

I flew out of Nepal on April 22, 2015; three days later the earthquake that destroyed Kathmandu shocked the world. My heart grieved for the Nepalese people.

It took me almost two months to fully recover physically from the ordeal; I pined about the failure that perhaps I could one day turn into a success. When I first read about this contest, I started thinking about the RSM core values and if anything that I was passionate about could possibly be portrayed in a light that I felt admirably represented RSM. Hiking to EBC has been an unattainable goal for me. I am meant to strive to be the best in everything that I do, and if I succumb to this failure, then I am not doing that. The way I feel about Nepal has changed. The only reason I survived on that mountain is because of the heroism and teamwork of my guide and Sherpa. I want to help the guides and Sherpas that put their lives in danger for hikers every day. If I go back to attempt EBC, then I will be helping this community. In addition, I want to make an impact and help the people in Nepal that have suffered through a devastating earthquake. EBC is at an elevation of 5,335 meters; for every meter of altitude that I successfully reach, I would like to donate $1 to a non-profit organization in Nepal to help with the earthquake recovery efforts.

This hike will exemplify the values that represent RSM in our communities, including teamwork, stewardship, and excellence.

No comments: