Blog Archive

Monday, February 3, 2014

Winter Internship

By Jacqueline Gatto
Tax Intern
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Jacqui at training
About six or seven months ago I received a very exciting call: McGladrey was offering me an opportunity to do a winter tax internship in the Fort Lauderdale office. To say the very least I was extremely excited and nervous at the same time. This was an amazing opportunity but I did not necessarily know what to expect next. In December I was contacted by HR and told to start preparing for Orientation and Training. I was to spend a couple of days in Orlando getting my IT equipment and then a week in Chicago training with the different software.

Orientation in Orlando was informative. We spent a few days learning about McGladrey’s executive officers, the culture and how to get around the various resources the firm provides. By the following Sunday I was at the Q Center in St Charles, Illinios ready for training. We received a huge amount of information that week but the instructors were understanding and took the time to make sure everyone was on the same page. I slowly started feeling more comfortable with the work we were being given. To my surprise however, we did other things besides sit in a classroom all day. After and before class we had several exciting networking events. We met Jeff Johannesen, the national tax leader, which was truly a pleasure, had a “Managaing Your Brand” workshop and built bikes for less fortunate kids. The biggest surprise of the week was being able to meet the children that were going to receive the bikes! Sadly, training came quickly to an end and before I knew it I was back in south Florida.

The hours before my first day were a little scary because I was worried about the work that would be assigned to me and whether or not I would be able to complete it. To my surprise everyone in the office was extremely understanding and willing to answer my questions no matter how many I had. The comforting environment has helped me grow and learn with ease, making me eager to learn more. It has been two weeks since my first day and I can really say that I am very happy to be here!

No comments: