Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Help Others Up the Ladder

Written by Rachel Alexander, RSM Intern

Six interns recently had a chance to go “Behind the Cs” and sit down with RSM US LLPs top executives to talk about the accounting industry, RSM’s culture, career advice and much more. Read on to see what Rachel Alexander took away from spending an hour with CFO Doug Opheim. 
Rachel Alexander (Left) and Doug Opheim (Right)


It’s an interesting dynamic, an intern meeting with a C-level executive. At many companies this would be unheard of, but not at RSM. On day one of RSM’s Pathways externship program last summer, I got my first glimpse into the RSM culture. Everyone I spoke with, no matter their line of business or staff level, had a consistent story that described an incredibly unique culture. From the beginning of my internship this summer, it was clear that the rigid, hierarchical stigma of a global organization was nowhere to be found. This feeling was cemented when I was given the opportunity to sit down with RSM’s Chief Financial Officer, Doug Opheim.

Doug took an hour out of his busy schedule to have a conversation with two Minneapolis summer interns. To me, this spoke volumes about his character, saying more than words ever could. As the CFO of the largest member firm in a global organization, every minute is precious and must be well spent. Over the course of those 60 minutes, Doug graciously passed on wisdom formed from years of hard work, grit and determination.

Of the many topics surfaced, the advice Doug gave left the greatest impression. Building your personal brand early in your career is one piece of advice that he stressed. Maximizing strengths and addressing weaknesses allows you to zero in on areas of expertise and create your brand. I had always been conscious of my strengths and weaknesses, but Doug's advice reaffirmed that setting aside pride, exposing your weaknesses, and not being afraid of failure is the key to individual learning and growth. I'm convinced that life is a journey of continuous learning, and with each milestone it affords the opportunity to keep molding and perfecting your personal brand.

The most impactful piece of advice I received from Doug was one that was passed on to him years ago. To paraphrase, “As you keep climbing the ladder of success, never forget to turn around and help those behind you up their next step.” I think this is so incredibly important. It creates a cycle of continuous improvement: a self-reinforcing culture that generates opportunities for all. As an intern, I am grateful he is living out that advice, and that his method of treating others is perpetuated throughout RSM. As I continue to advance my career, these lessons Doug passed will stay with me. I only hope to be able to help others up the ladder in the future as well.

No comments: