Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Build Relationships and Never Give Up

Written by Jordan Barrett, RSM Intern 


Six interns recently had a chance to go “Behind the Cs” and sit down with RSM US LLPs top executives to talk about the accounting industry, RSM’s culture, career advice and much more. Read on to see what Jordan Barrett took away from spending an hour with COO Bill Gorman.

Jordan Barrett (Left) and Bill Gorman (Right)
I recently graduated from Loyola University Maryland. A big part of the reason I decided to go there was because I got a great sense of community and the professors cared about everyone’s success while at Loyola and after graduation. After speaking with Bill Gorman, RSM’s chief operating officer, I got that same feeling. There are a lot of opportunities for growth here at RSM, and the key is to build relationships.

One way to build relationships is through RSM’s Employee Network Group (ENGs), part of our culture, diversity and inclusion work. I asked Bill about diversity at RSM and he was very straight-forward, noting the firm is always working to increase our diversity, in all senses of the word. Bill was very honest about everything I wanted to know about the firm. I appreciated him being upfront and I liked how he said that they are working to increase diversity throughout the firm. RSM has the ENGs to help spread awareness to everyone about different cultures and identities.

I was also curious about where Bill thinks RSM will be going in the next five to ten years. He said he does not know what exactly will happen five to ten years down the line, but he is comfortable saying RSM is willing to adapt and change as technology continues to develop and grow. For example, over the last several years, there has been a trend for companies to move back into major cities around the United States. RSM offices around the country have followed this trend by increasing their presence in big cities. Life is about adapting to changes and RSM is willing to continue to adapt as we move forward toward future.

Overall, I was thrilled that I got the opportunity to talk to Bill Gorman. I learned a lot about what he does as COO and why he has stayed at RSM for so many years. I realized that RSM has many areas of opportunity to learn and grown.

He left us some advice as we were going through our discussion. He told us to continue to be a good teammate. When everyone does their fair share, it makes all the jobs easier. And from my experience, the team at RSM is willing to help everyone succeed. He also told us to never give up. If you want to do something, do it and do not hold back. Everyone makes mistakes but we should keep trying until we achieve our goals.

No comments: