Blog Archive

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Memorable Experience

By Morgan Quesinberry
Assurance Intern
Orlando, FL


Throughout my internship I have learned more than I ever could have imagined. I have learned about the people that make up McGladrey and the amazing opportunities McGladrey gives their interns. The perk of interning during busy season is you get to see everything! After my audit internship, there is no workpaper I can’t tackle. Within the internship I was able to work on several different types of clients and industries. With each client, you learn the ins and outs of the company. It was very interesting to see how different industries are audited. 

My favorite part of the McGladrey audit internship was interacting with the clients McGladrey serves. Every few weeks I was scheduled on a new client. For the most part, the team would go out to the client site and work with the client. With all the experience I received, I was able to complete my work and take my knowledge of what I have learned and apply it in other areas. The amount of knowledge I have gained from my internship will carry on in my future education. It was a great experience and peek into what public accounting is all about.

My McGladrey internship was an amazing experience for more reasons that I can write about. I enjoyed the fact that I was given associate work to complete as an intern. It was a challenge. Even if I had problems or didn’t understand something, my senior associates were there to train and teach me how to perform certain tasks. 

If I had to give a new intern any advice, it would be to learn and absorb as much as possible. When you are working on something, you have to ask questions if you have an issue. It is easy to get wrapped up in an issue and become determined to figure it out yourself. In reality, you’re in-charge has seen this problem before and can help fix it in less time than you can. Also, you need to be open to comments and take criticism well. The only way you’re going to learn is by taking what your in-charge says and improve next time. 

Morgan and co-workers at Color Me Rad 5k
An aspect I love about McGladrey is that there is always something to participate in. In the length of my internship, I participated in a bowling charity event and attended a Solar Bears game. In addition, this past weekend, a few of the McGladrey interns and employees ran in the Color Me Rad 5k in Orlando. It was a blast! There was colored powdered all over us and after the race it was practically a big party. We all went to brunch after and had a great time. This experience was something that I will always remember because I shared it with my McGladrey co-workers. The Corporate 5k is coming up in a few weeks and I can’t wait to participate. This event is supposed to be one of the largest runs in Orlando. It will be nice to see the large amount of McGladrey employees that participate.  

Overall, as you can see, my experience as a McGladrey intern was a great one. I am so happy I decided to begin my career in public accounting with McGladrey. The opportunities the firm is able to give their employees is vast, and the people and clients that make up McGladrey make the experience even better.

No comments: