Blog Archive

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Hard Work, Done Well, Feels Great

By Joshua Benson
Assurance Intern
Phoenix, AZ


As my assurance internship comes to an end, I am reminded of my old swim coach’s saying: “hard work, done well, feels great.” Those words have never meant as much to me as they do now. The last three months have flown by, and I can’t imagine feeling any better about the work that I have put in, the people I have been able to meet and work with, or the company that I have been privileged to work for and represent. My internship experience has only solidified my choice to pursue a career in assurance, and I am very eager to take the skills and knowledge that I have learned and apply them to my school work this upcoming fall. 

During my internship, I worked on clients in industries including manufacturing, real estate, insurance, and software development. I worked in different teams from the Phoenix office, and even a team comprised of people from the Omaha and Dallas offices. I learned how to audit cash, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and fixed assets. With new clients, new team members, new challenges, and new learning opportunities every week, it was hard not to look forward to Monday mornings.

The most rewarding part of my experience has been working alongside the people who I aspire to be someday. While working at clients, I was able to pick the brains of first and second year staff about how to prepare for one’s first few years of public accounting. When managers, directors, or partners came out to clients, it allowed me to observe what it takes to be successful. Everyone I have worked with has not only been an excellent teacher regarding the technical side of accounting, but they have also been willing to share their insight into developing a fulfilling career in public accounting. I have been incredibly inspired by the people I have worked with over the last three months, and I anxiously look forward to working with likeminded motivated individuals here at McGladrey.

For anyone who is thinking about doing an internship with McGladrey, I encourage you to do so. Be prepared to know nothing, be opened minded and teachable, treat every day like an interview, and take pride in your work. The time will fly by quickly, but the knowledge you gain, the lessons you learn, and the personal growth you will have will last a lifetime. Stay positive, and always remember, “hard work, done well, feels great.”

No comments: