Blog Archive

Friday, March 23, 2012

Savoring the McGladrey Experience

Written by Daniel Brown
Tax Intern
Cedar Rapids, IA
The corporate deadline came and went in the blink of an eye.  In less than a month, the individual deadline will also be in the rearview mirror, and with it, my internship with McGladrey.  As much as I look forward to returning to my old life as a college student at the University of Iowa, I sure am going to miss being an intern in the Cedar Rapids office.  In the meantime, I plan on making the most of my remaining time.
I imagine that many public accountants across the country took some time off this past weekend to momentarily relax and take a breather after having overcome the first deadline of season, which fell on a Thursday this year.    To celebrate the deadline in the Cedar Rapids office, many of us went to a local establishment for some mid afternoon appetizers and drinks.  Although I was surprised when one of the associates stopped by the intern bay and told us to stop what we were doing because it was time to head downtown, I didn’t complain, and neither did the other interns.  Several hours later, and much to our dismay, we eventually remembered that we had to work early the next morning and headed home for the night.
Looking forward, the next several weeks will be pretty busy with individual tax preparation.  However, I still have a number of businesses on my to-do list that were extended, so it won’t be all individual tax from here on out.  One thing that has really impressed during my internship with McGladrey is the large variety that interns are exposed to.  For example, I am currently working on a controlled group of foreign corporations, an area of tax that is quite literally “foreign” to me.  Although I have very little experience in international tax, it is exciting to have been given the opportunity to broaden my horizons. Over the past couple of months I have seen s-corps, partnerships, c-corps, farmers, international corporations, and a multitude of individuals with different types of income and business activities.  The same has been true for the other interns in the office, except their engagements seem to be unique in their own right as well.  Overall, McGladrey has done an excellent job at providing a well rounded internship.
Although I know the next few weeks will be incredibly busy, I look forward to taking on the challenge with my fellow coworkers.  If the past is a good indicator of the future, then I am sure there will be a number of fun times along the way to boot.  Thanks for a great experience, McGladrey, and everyone in the Cedar Rapids office!
Cheers,
Daniel

No comments: