Blog Archive

Friday, March 23, 2012

I Came, I Saw, I Concatenated

Written by John Reschke
Assurance Intern
Orlando, FL

Well folks it is a wrap! This internship is coming to an end after three great months. As I reflect back at my time spent at McGladrey, I am humbled at the whole experience. I really have learned a lot of things that school just can’t teach you.

Working this internship I have truly learned the definition of what life in public accounting really means, especially as it relates to the peak of the season. Let me tell you, they don’t call it busy season for nothing. You better be someone who knows how to bring your “A Game” if you intern this time of the year. You not only have to meet the expectations of your coworkers, but the clients you serve as well. It’s a lot to juggle when you start throwing deadlines into the equation. I don’t mean to make it sound scary. The bottom line is if you’re the kind of person that really embraces a good challenge, I have no doubts you will thrive in this environment.

The other good news is you are set up for success here at McGladrey. You’re given all the technological tools needed to get the job done. If you are a full-time staff here, they even issue iPads to aid you in your work endeavors.

And on top of the tools, you have the best assets available to anyone, the consummate professionals who are your coworkers. This isn’t my first job working with people who are truly “professionals.” Before I decided I wanted to pursue a career in public accounting, I had the honor and privilege to serve in the Air Force. It was there I learned what it means to have the dedication to be a professional. I see that same level of dedication and service with all of my coworkers, as I saw with my fellow service men and women. The people here are dedicated not only to bettering themselves in the pursuit of excellence, as well as each other. No one here plays “I have a secret.” If ever I had a question, no matter how little, or silly it may have seemed I got real help. Everyone took the time to make sure I understood what was happening. Nobody rushed through an explanation or got irritated if maybe I didn’t understand the concept right away. Some even went all classroom style and started writing out explanations on a board (thanks Mike).

I leave McGladrey a better accountant than I started. I have a new network of friends to lean on if I have questions going forward. I even mastered the art of concatenating (thanks Crystal).

And my advice for would be interns, definitely aim for a winter/spring internship. It is truly a unique experience that really gives you a taste of what it means to be a CPA. You will get more experience in these three short months than you would have ever hoped for. That I can promise. 

No comments: