Blog Archive

Monday, July 24, 2017

RSM's externship helps participant "reach for the stars"




Michael Babick, a junior at Texas Tech University, recently attended RSM’s technology and management consulting-focused Pathways externship program in Minneapolis and shared his thoughts on his experience:

The past two and a half days have been a whirlwind in the Twin Cities, but I couldn't be happier! RSM flew me up to Minneapolis for their 2017 Technology and Management Consulting Pathways [externship] program. My trip started Monday when I left DFW, on my birthday, to fly up to MSP. After a quick and easy flight, I took the light rail into Downtown Minneapolis and checked into my hotel, The Marquette, where RSM had booked us rooms. The plan was to explore Downtown Minneapolis, but by the time I got settled in I decided I'd rather kick back, get some work done, and call it a night early ... after all, I had a lot to look forward to the next day.

Day one kicked off with a quick breakfast and a welcome from Pat Vance, technology and management consulting principal at RSM. The day was filled with technical trainings detailing service offerings, Q&A with consultants, lunch with the partners and principals, a client sharing their experiences with RSM, team building (it turns out tech consultants aren't the most talented artists), a presentation on what stewardship means at RSM, and finally the food tour. Oh my gosh. The food tour ... so good, five words: chipotle maple glazed chicken wings.

Day two was really a chance for us to challenge ourselves and step outside of our comfort zone. RSM's Bottom Line Simulation showed attendees what it's like to be responsible for business development at a firm. From defining your values and other key characteristics, which potential clients consider, to determining a break even and sending the proposal to the client. While the team I was matched with didn't win, it was still a blast and showed not only just how intense the consulting world can be when competing for business, but also the challenges and huge weight that come with that responsibility.

All in all, this was an amazing opportunity to see what technology consulting is like in an accelerated timeframe. Looking back as I write on the plane home, I'm so happy I applied for the program back in April. I got the opportunity to meet some incredible students and peers, RSM employees, and learned more than I would have ever expected. The program was put together incredibly well, it seemed as though the RSM employee to participant ratio was 1:1 at times, the energy in the room was contagious thanks to the program leaders and I wouldn't doubt that every student who attended left the office feeling as though they could reach for the stars, and the stars would be within reach.

No comments: