Blog Archive

Friday, March 1, 2013

Busy, busy, busy!

By Thomas Starr
Assurance Intern
San Diego, CA


It’s incredible to think that my internship at McGladrey is half-way over. The last month and a half has flown by, as I’ve kept myself busy learning new things in the heart of busy season. On my first client engagement, I was assigned to audit cash. I know auditing cash is just the tip of the iceberg as far as the complete audit is concerned, but it was exciting to have the responsibility for the completion of an entire section of the audit. On my second and third engagements I got exposure to other areas as well, including accounts payable, fixed assets, payroll, and inventory. Everyone on the engagement team was very helpful in guiding me through some of the steps, but at the same time allowed me to independently work through it. I would typically try to figure it out myself before I would ask for clarification. Messing up is part of the process. McGladrey does not expect interns to know everything, and all the professionals are, in my experience, happy to point you in the right direction. It is amazing how quickly and how much you can learn in this kind of atmosphere.


The bullpen stays pretty emtpy,
as most professional are out in the field
In the downtime between engagements, which doesn’t appear common during busy season, I come into the San Diego office. The audit staff who are not out in the field typically work out of an area called the bullpen. Analogous to a bullpen in baseball, it is where you hang out (i.e. check email, do small tasks you’ve been asked to complete, study for the CPA exam, etc.) until you are called into action. There is always a senior or manager who could use an intern’s help, so it is helpful to let them know you are in the office and unassigned. Without failure, they will find a way to keep you busy. I have been asked to send out A/R confirmations, do some inventory price testing, drive to a client to deliver some items, and much more. It is safe to say that as a busy season intern, you will be called on for assistance frequently. It is an opportunity to touch a lot of different areas in a short period of time.

Beyond the professional growth an internship at McGladrey offers, it also has had a few other perks! To give a specific example, the San Diego office recently got new conference room chairs, meaning the old ones were up for grabs. Well, as a college student who sits daily on many uncomfortable chairs, I could not pass up the opportunity to take a conference room chair home with me. So I found a way (not sure how) to stuff it in my tiny car, and now it’s my new desk chair at home. Nifty, huh? Another perk? Friday Funday! A couple Fridays back we had an office poker tournament after work, and that was a fun time until I lost. Just kidding, the free food cured the sadness of being ousted in the early rounds.

Mmm, nachos.

Overall, the experience has been great, and I am looking forward to learning more during my time at McGladrey!

No comments: