Blog Archive

Monday, July 2, 2012

First Impressions



Written by Lyndsey Lawson
Intern
Irvine, CA

Everyone gets nervous about job interviews - it’s inevitable. Proving yourself and making people like you isn't always an easy job. Thankfully, McGladrey does an amazing job to help. My experience was made to be comfortable, and while yes, still nerve racking, a little more at ease than what I was expecting.

When I arrived at the Irvine office, everyone I encountered was extremely polite and friendly. The interviewees were all led into a conference room, where everyone was able to get to know each other a little better - the interviewees and the McGladrey staff alike. We, the interns, were given a great presentation from Dean Smith, a presentation that not only informed but also entertained. This was just another reason that made us feel a little more relaxed before we went into our interviews. The actual interviewing itself went smooth and surprisingly comfortable, with a conversational tone that made the interview enjoyable. I know it's hard to believe that an interview can be enjoyable, but I'm not lying. I actually enjoyed the conversations that took place between me and the managers and partners of McGladrey. When I got the news that they wanted me to be a part of the team, it was just the icing on the cake.         

McGladrey represents a team that is respectful, professional, and talented. But they are also a team that is fun and inclusive. I was able to experience this at the post busy season party. The party took place at a bowling alley, so I was pretty stoked to show off my bowling skills. Everyone broke off into different lanes to bowl.  I luckily got put into a group with some really great people, including a couple of partners.  I’m a decent bowler so I was pretty sure that I was going to win. The partners in our group, Dale and Dennis, claimed they weren’t very good, but I guess they were just being modest. They totally put my bowling “skills” to shame.

I had a really great time getting to know everyone and I can’t wait to get started.

No comments: