Blog Archive

Monday, June 4, 2012

A Glimpse of the Future

Written by Deevy Bhakta
Intern
Chicago, IL

Deevy Bhakta

Throughout college, I have been told that the knowledge I gain in the classroom is a fraction of what I will need to know to achieve success in the real world.  The most valuable knowledge comes from professional experience.  Thus, I made it my goal to land an internship by my junior year in college.

I reached my goal and received an opportunity to intern at McGladrey for this summer.  For many, making a jump from a small town to downtown Chicago seems intimidating.  However, I have been waiting for the opportunity to take my leap. I have no idea what this summer and my internship at McGladrey will have in store for me, but I intend to cherish the whole experience.

As my start date nears, I feel my excitement growing.  For the past three years, I have been in the same University of Illinois environment.  After taking a multitude of classes, I am ready to put my skills to test.  However, I am looking forward to building a relationship with other interns and actual employees the most.  I love talking and connecting with people, but for the past couple of years I have gotten to control who I interact with.  I know my internship will put my teamwork and people skills to the test.

I admit that I am a little intimidated.  However, I am confident that I once I get over the initial hurdle this summer will be one of the most memorable of my life.  I hope to return to UIUC with valuable experiences and new friends.

No comments: