Blog Archive

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

McGladrey Recognized for Exemplary Flexible Workplace Practices

No matter what your passions are: a devoted runner, a working parent, a pet owner, a dedicated sports fan, McGladrey’s commitment to a Flexible Work Environment can help you be successful.  

As announced on Monday, McGladrey has been honored with the 2011 Alfred P. Sloan Award for Business Excellence in Workplace Flexibility for its use of flexibility as an effective workplace strategy to increase business and employee success. This prestigious award, part of the national When Work Works project, recognizes employers of all sizes and types across the country. 72 of McGladrey’s offices were recognized with the award. 
“As a recipient of the 2011 Sloan Award, McGladrey ranks in the top 20% of employers nationally in terms of its programs, policies and culture for creating an effective and flexible workplace,” states Ellen Galinsky, president of Families and Work Institue. “In addition, what makes this honor so special is that their employees have corroborated this, affirming that it is indeed an effective and flexible workplace.”
What is your secret to Work Life Success?
Tansy Jefferies, Director from Fort Lauderdale, is just one of many employees that has benefited from the flexible work options offered by McGladrey. This year she worked a FlexYear schedule, which allowed her to spend three months backpacking in South America over the summer. McGladrey’s FlexYear program allows employees to vary their work schedules during the year. They might work a full-time or reduced work schedule during part of the year and then take an extended period of time off.
McGladrey: What benefit/program has helped you be more effective personally and/or professionally?
Tansy Jefferies: I worked a FlexYear which allowed me the opportunity to spend quality time with my husband, take a break from our hectic schedules and to fulfill our dream to travel around South America. We hiked the Inca Trail in Peru, canoed the Amazon in Brazil, cycled through the Atacama Desert in Chile and down the Death Road in Bolivia, paraglided over Rio in Brazil and dived with hammerheads and sea lions in the Galapagos Islands, to name a few of the highlights.
MG: In what ways have you been more effective and/or seen a positive impact?
TJ: I returned to the office mentally refreshed and positive, having fulfilled many life goals over one summer, feeling ready to tackle my job with 100% commitment.
MG: Specifically, what did you do to integrate your personal and professional life?
TJ: While I was away, I checked my work emails on my phone when I had WiFi access, which was pretty easy to find. I had ensured all my clients were aware of my plans and had an alternative contact to assist them while I was away. I also provided handover notes on my clients to colleagues, so in actual fact there was not too much that came up in my absence that required by input. I probably communicated in some way either with a colleague or client around once a week on average.
For more information about the When Work Works project and the Alfred P. Sloan Awards for Business Excellence in Workplace Flexibility, visit http://www.whenworkworks.org/.

Press Release

No comments: