Blog Archive

Friday, March 13, 2009

The McGladrey Intern Experience - Rachel: Part 4

Just a few hours and counting. With the end in sight, I am reminded of Juliet’s parting words to Romeo: “Parting is such sweet sorrow.” For me, this oxymoron aptly describes my mixed emotions. I feel sorrow and sadness because I’m leaving McGladrey. Yet, at the same time, I am so excited at the thought of returning as a full-time employee in the fall of 2010 after I earn my MAC (Master’s in Accounting).

I am very happy that my graduate year of study at Appalachian’s Walker College of Business includes preparation and study time for the CPA exam. This should help me complete the exam before I return to McGladrey so I will be prepared to "hit the ground running."

I am very interested to see how my internship experience impacts my attitude, approach and perspective on my studies. I have always taken my education seriously, but I now have a better and clearer understanding of the real relevance of what I am studying. A successful American accountant, Harold Geneen, former CEO of ITT once said, “You can’t run a business or anything else on a theory.” And that’s why this internship opportunity has been absolutely invaluable to me. It’s easy sometimes to lose focus when you get caught up or stuck in the abstract. It’s the real-world application of concepts, principles and rules that gives life and meaning to learning and transforms information into knowledge. And to me that’s what accounting is all about.

More than a method, more than a precise listing or enumeration of financial transactions, accounting is all about knowledge. So, thank you McGladrey - for the opportunity to gain insight into my chosen profession and for starting me on my knowledge-quest.

No comments: