Blog Archive

Friday, February 24, 2012

When I Grow Up…

Written by Ashley Schmitt
Tax Intern
Elkhart, IN
I have just officially completed my first full month as a McGladrey tax intern! I feel like I’m starting to learn how the office works, the procedures, and I do feel more knowledgeable- most of the time. Every day I am reminded that there is always more to learn and challenges ahead. I am thankful for the wonderful people in the office that answer my continuous flow of questions.
Since my last blog post I went on my first audit. I was not sure what to expect, as the only experience I have had thus far has been in the tax department. I arrived early, and fulfilled my first official “intern” duty- supplying the donuts. I was a little nervous about being in a new environment with people I do not normally work with, but Travis, Anthony, and Rachel were all great. I was given my first task of auditing cash. I’m not sure how much I actually audited (or how much Travis Eull edited my work after I finished), but by the end of the day I felt like I understood a little more of how the audit process works. On the second day, I audited fixed assets. I do think working in audit would be fun, and I decided that its necessary to see every side of the audit to understand the full process. After learning about auditing only from a textbook standpoint, I’m thrilled that I had the opportunity to go out on an audit for a few days.  I did really enjoy my time learning about another side of McGladrey. By the end of my audit experience, I felt a little more comfortable, but I did miss the people in the tax department and was ready to head back.
Over the last month I’ve gained a new appreciation for the people who work in the tax department. As an intern, I’ve only been subject to a forty-hour workweek thus far, and will be until the workload permits us to work more hours. However, when I arrive at work in the morning, the rest of the tax department is busy at work just as I left them the night before. I have received emails at 9pm approving work I had done earlier that day.  If the people had not been wearing different clothes each day, I would be convinced that no one has moved from their cubicles in the last 3 weeks. Yet still, they carry on, mostly with tremendously positive attitudes.
When I was interviewing for this internship with Brad Miller, he asked me why I chose accounting. I responded that I have never met an accountant who didn’t love their job. Contrary to popular belief (and the YouTube video “When I Grow Up I Want to be a Tax Accountant”), every time I’ve asked someone who works in the field of accounting about their job I’ve only received positive responses. When I asked my “buddy” Zach how late he works every night and if he gets worn out, his response was that he loves his job; he loves the people he works with. I can say I admire that. I haven’t decided or been around enough people to know if all tax accountants have this attitude, or just ones at McGladrey, but I’m impressed with what I’ve seen from the dedicated people around me.
Lastly, I’d like to give John from Kansas a shout-out: John, Roger’s triplets say hello!

No comments: