Blog Archive

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Reflections on a Memorial Day Weekend

Memorial Day has always meant alot to me, especially with my being a native Washingtonian and always being surrounded by the federal government, major military bases, soldiers both current and past, monuments to past wars and cemeteries to those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.

It reminds me of the grandfather who I never knew, who fought in Europe in WWII, passed several years before I was born and currently lies in Arlington Cemetery. It reminds me of friends and colleagues who served and fought in Vietnam, Panama and Iraq. Rolling Thunder (which rolls into town every Memorial Day weekend) makes it literally loud and clear that we must always remember, respect and honor those who have fallen in the defense of our nation.

Memorial Day has a secondary meaning of course too. It marks the start of summer, pools opening, cookouts, parades, family and fun. This Memorial Day weekend also marked another victory for Team McGladrey member Zach Johnson, who won The Colonial by three strokes on Sunday. As always, we at McGladrey are proud of Zach's accomplishments as he continues to shine as one of the stars of the PGA Tour.

But most of all, we at McGladrey are proud of the those who serve and sacrifice for our country. Everything that we celebrate on Memorial Day weekend wouldn't be possible if it wasn't for the bravery and true heroics of our men and women in uniform. I know that I probably didn't say it enough this weekend, but on behalf of McGladrey, all I want to say Thank You.

No comments: