Blog Archive

Thursday, January 21, 2010

My Shawshank Redemption - A Screenplay: Part 5

Hello, it’s Rachel, former Shawshank inmate, released and free. You’ll be relieved to hear that this screenplay is coming to an end. And I’m delighted to report it’s closing with a happy ending.
Stay tuned however for more posts (in a different format) about my CPA Exam preparation experience.

Scene Seven

Setting: Car
Music: “Get Ready” by the Temptations
Opening Scene: Rachel (singing, smiling, happy) driving back to school

Voice over, Rachel to self: Wow, it’s hard to believe but it was only a week ago that I was in this car on this same road. It seems like a lifetime ago. So, much has happened.

Rachel thinks about the events of the past week. She smiles sheepishly as she recalls her state of mind when she left school.

Voice over, Rachel to self: Talk about wound too tight? And Josh was right – I totally lost perspective. How did I let that happen? Sure, I was nervous about the exam – it’s intimidating. But I’m smart and I’m a hard worker. But I have a great prep plan and I’ve followed it. So what happened?

And suddenly, Rachel has an “aha” moment. A collage of memories flood her mind –
lunches, dinners, study sessions, conversations with friends – almost always about the CPA exam and how impossible it was.

Voice over, Rachel to self: Oh, my gosh. I totally fell for it. Somewhere along the way, I took on other people’s doubts and fears, even the irrational fears - to the point that the exam had become an almost nightmarish obsession.

Beaming, Rachel savors the clarity and wisdom of the moment.

Voice over, Rachel to self: Grad school was never my prison. I had imprisoned myself with misgivings and uncertainties. But no more. I’m free. And I’m ready to take the exam. Really, ready. Bring it on.

Laughing, Rachel turns up her ipod, singing along with her dad:

There must be peace and understanding sometime
Strong winds of promise that will blow away
All the doubt and fear
If I can dream of a warmer sun
Where hope keeps shining on everyone
Tell me why, oh why, oh why won’t that sun appear.

No comments: